Temporary Works & Design Manager
Responsible to Technical Director
We are looking for a temporary works and design manager with experience in carrying out temporary works designs. The candidate shall ideally have a degree in Civil/Structural Engineering and either be incorporated, chartered or working towards one of these accreditations.
The main role will be managing the temporary works for the company including production or checking of designs. The role will also be split as a design manager and the candidate will be responsible for co-ordinating the design of live projects.
Temporary Works Primary responsibilities
- Implementing current Temporary Works (TW) procedures and assessing and controlling all risks associated with TW.
- Manage amendments/changes to TW requirements and provide expert advice on typical TW items and oversee all relevant inspections and audits.
- Undertaking designs in-house or checking sub-contractor/consultant designs.
- Liaising with the design and build teams to provide technical advice and knowledge to other civil engineering matters.
Design Manager Primary Responsibilitie
- Manage the design process on Design & Build projects to produce accurate coordinated information in line with the agreed specification, programme and cost plan.
- Act as the primary contact for consultants, clients and production teams with regards to design issues and ensure effective flow of information and approvals between relevant parties via the clients document management system.
- Manage the appointment of consultants including warranties and ensure that they perform in line with their agreed scope of services.
- Produce and manage a design programme / schedule for all consultants and subcontractors to meet the agreed programme dates.
- Reviewing drawings and details against Employers Requirements / Contractor's Proposals and Specification and suggest value engineering options when possible.
- Organise and chair design team meetings and workshops with consultants, clients and / or subcontractors and issue minutes with actions in a timely manner.
- Manage the production of designs to meet all necessary statutory and regulatory approvals with Local Authorities, Principal Designer, Building Control and Planning Departments.
- Ensure CDM compliance to minimise all health and safety risks and close out all identified project risks.
- Provide technical support to the tender process, producing Contractor's Proposals and advise on potential cost effectiveness of alternative methods of construction.
- Attend site to provide technical support to construction team.
Temporary Works Secondary responsibilities
- Ensure TW requirements are identified sufficiently in advance of work and recorded appropriately.
- Ensure responsibility for design and independent checking of design is allocated and accepted and that a satisfactory brief is established for each separate design to enable all TW to be co-ordinated.
- Ensure that independent design checks are carried out and designs amended where necessary prior to implementation.
- Ensure that appropriate inspections are carried out prior to the use of TW and that necessary corrections are identified, recorded and implemented where required and prior to use of the TW.
- Ensure appropriate procedures are applied to control and manage changed requirements for TW inclusive of re-design and independent checking prior to use.
- Ensure site managers acting as Temporary Works Co-Ordinators are suitably trained and receive the correct advice in order for them to undertake their role in accordance with procedures
- Monitor each project's TW process through targeted audits.
- Conduct site TW inspections and ensure quality output based on approved plans and specifications. A good working knowledge of health and safety on site is also useful during visits.
- Manage costs associated with the design and checking process and ensure designs are cost effective and efficient for purpose.
- Analyse designs at tender stage to comment on suitability of design and provide technical feedback to the estimating team.
Design Manager Secondary responsibilities
- Attend interviews for potential new projects.
- Monitor consultants' performance and provide feedback to Technical Director.
- Compliance with and achievement of Company, project, and personal targets and initiatives.
- Maintain CPD levels as required for professional body memberships.
- Level of TW compliance
- Level of TW competency and awareness within the organisation.
- Gross margin on D&B
- % D&B projects completed on time
Disclaimer: This vacancy is based in the United Kingdom. Barker Ross Recruitment only operates in the UK and can only process applications from candidates who are currently a resident and eligible to work in the UK.
Whilst we endeavour to contact you following your response due to the high volume of applications this cannot always be possible. If you have not had notification within 7 days unfortunately your application has not been successful.
This vacancy is being advertised on behalf of Barker Ross Group who is acting as a recruitment agency.
All communication with us is subject to the conditions outlined in our Privacy Notice.