Our client is one of the largest providers la of supported accommodation services various clients such as young people, clients with a history of homelessness, mental health or substance misuse issues. They aim to help vulnerable people find opportunities to change their lives and futures.
Position Available: Rent and Income Advisor - Housing and Support Services (Bromley), 37.5 hrs, £24kpa, Permanent
To minimise customer rent arrears by implementing the Rental Income Policy and working on a one to one basis with customers supporting them to manage their money and understand their financial responsibilities. Promote financial inclusion through providing welfare and benefit advice, supporting customers in claiming the appropriate welfare benefits and manage their finances. Liaise closely with the Housing Benefit department to ensure claims, backdates, overpayments and appeals are processed efficiently
Maximising Rental Income
- To implement the Rental Income Policy and Procedure for all customers including providing rental statements, issuing arrears letters and Notices, agreeing repayment plans.
- To work in partnership with key workers to support customers to pay their rent on time and avoid eviction due to rent arrears.
- To develop and maintain a good working relationship with the Housing Benefit department to enable appropriate sharing of information and resolution to housing benefit queries or appeals.
- To meet the Current and Former Customer bad debt targets set each year for the project.
- To chase arrears for former customers which may include contacting previous customers to agree a repayment plan, liaising with Debt Recovery organisations or making a claim in the County Court.
- Provide accurate and timely reports on performance including but not limited to arrears performance and overall reduction in debt levels.
- To liaise with the DWP worker, oversee the appointment schedule, and ensure customers with specific related issues are linked in with them weekly to ensure their income is maximised.
- To serve Notices Requiring Possession in line with the organisation's procedures.
- To complete and submit applications to the county court for possession as defined by the organisation's procedure.
- To attend the County Court and present cases on behalf of the company
- To apply for warrants of possession as and when directed by the Service Manager and attend subsequent evictions.
Welfare & Debt Advice
- To provide one to one support to customers on welfare benefits, supporting them to claim the appropriate benefits and make appeals against benefit decisions.
- To provide one to one support regarding money and debt advice. Assisting customers to develop an action plan concerning money and debt advice issues.
- Where appropriate advocate on behalf of customers with debt organisations.
- Maintain up to date knowledge on welfare benefits and money and debt advice issues.
- Maintain up to date records of all customer contact and actions, ensuring that key workers are kept informed.
Health and Safety
- To ensure that customers have up to date information on Health and Safety, and to support them to manage their environment.
- To be aware and work within Health and Safety legislation.
- To take part in regular Health and Safety inspections, to alert the appropriate people and take action yourself to remedy health and safety defects.
- To be aware of Customer Risk Assessments and update key workers and colleagues on recognised changes in risk levels for customers.
- To implement the Fire Safety Procedure in its entirety and contribute to the review of the Fire Risk Assessment.
- To be familiar with the content of all Service and Building Risk Assessments and highlight areas of risk that need to be addressed.
- To keep accurate records, including customer contact and support and Pyramid database information.
- To provide regular written reports and information as requested.
- To be aware of and adhere to all relevant financial procedures.
- To be the lead contact for the Housing Management database maintaining the integrity of system and providing and advice and guidance to colleagues on how to operate the system.
- To use skills, experience and knowledge to respond to challenging customer situations and behaviour. To use techniques to de-escalate situations and support customers to positively change their behaviour.
- To identify opportunities to improve services both at a project and organisational level.
- To contribute to the development and implementation of the Project Work Plan.
- To deliver the highest standard of customer service to all parties including customers, their visitors and external agencies.
- Previous experience of providing managing rent arrears in a social housing setting.
- Previous experience of providing basic welfare and debt advice
- Previous experience of working with people who have experienced homelessness.
- Experience of occupancy/tenancy agreements and implementing a rent arrears procedure.
- Experience of serving legal Notices and completing and attending County Court possession cases.
- Experience of working in partnership with Statutory and Voluntary Agencies to achieve positive outcomes for customers.
- Can demonstrate continued Professional Development and commitment
- Knowledge of the support needs of verified rough sleepers and how these can be supported in a hostel environment.
- Knowledge of best practice in providing debt advice.
- Computer literate with competency in Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to cope with customers who may display challenging behaviour.
- Commitment to customer involvement, and ability to involve customers within the service.
How to apply:
If you feel that you fully meet the above outlined criteria for this role and would like to apply for this post, please forward your CV for consideration.
*Please note the above outlined experience is the 'minimum' first stage criteria for this role, we will therefore be unable to consider your application unless you are able to demonstrate a relevant work history in line with this position.
Disclaimer: This vacancy is based in the United Kingdom. Barker Ross Health&Social Care only operates in the UK and can only process applications from candidates who are currently a resident and eligible to work in the UK.
Whilst we endeavour to contact you following your response due to the high volume of applications this cannot always be possible. If you have not had notification within 7 days unfortunately your application has not been successful but we will keep your details on file for future opportunities.
This vacancy is being advertised on behalf of Barker Ross Group who is acting as a recruitment agency.