Housing Standards and Enforcement Officer
Temporary February 2018 - June 2018, 37 hours per week (£25 per hour)
Responsible to: Private Housing Team Leader
Duties and Responsibilities
- To make a significant contribution to the improvement of housing standards for people living in private sector accommodation, by giving advice and conducting detailed inspections and taking necessary enforcement action in relation to the relevant Housing Acts and other related legislation including the operation, management and enforcement of HMO licensing and accreditation schemes.
- To assist in the management of the Council's HMO licensing scheme in accordance with the Housing Act 2004 and service guidelines, this will include processing new applications, licence renewals, variations, temporary exemption notices and refusals.
- To undertake inspections of HMO's (both licenced and subject to any other scheme) to ensure that the required standards are being met and maintained and where defects or management issues are found to take relevant and timely enforcement action.
- To manage a workload of cases independently as required, including preparing cases for enforcement, conduct interviews, brief legal officers, prepare cases for court and attend tribunals, court hearings and public enquiries.
- To demonstrate commitment and support for safeguarding the welfare of children, young people and adults at risk.
- Developing links with landlords, letting agents and accommodation officers in order to promote higher standards and with particular regard to student accommodation
- Undertake other duties as may reasonably be expected and required within the general scope of the role
Skills and Competencies
- Knowledge and experience of implementing the law relating to housing standards, houses in multiple occupation, public health and relevant enforcement procedures, including HMO licensing.
- Knowledge and experience of inspecting and assessing buildings under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System and against set standards
- Experience of preparing and serving statutory notices and preparing schedules of work.
- Experience of court procedures and giving evidence in court.
- Competence at using Microsoft Word, Excel and computer based record systems
- Experience of working within a local authority, and within an environmental health or housing environment
- Experience of interpreting, implementing and applying guidelines and legislation
- Ability to explain and communicate complex information in a clear and simple manner to a range of organisations and individuals
- Experience of delivering high standards of customer service
- Ability to demonstrate high levels of confidentiality, discretion and diplomacy
- Experience of effectively managing difficult and contentious situations
- Experience of making consistent decisions and giving consistent and reliable advice
- Ability to be structured, logical and objective in approach to work and decision-making
- Determination of reasonable costs for building works, or preparing estimated costs
- Ability to prioritise workloads and work under pressure to ensure that both deadlines are met and high standards maintained across all service teams.
- Ability to handle conflict and confrontation
- Able to be a lone worker
- Ability to transport self around city and to work to meet reasonable expectations of job
- Have knowledge of Housing Act 2004 and Housing Enforcement
Please send your CV in the first instance or call the Lincoln Office today on 01522 551910 for further information.
This vacancy is based in the United Kingdom. Barker Ross Staffing Solutions only operates in the UK and can only process applications from candidates who are currently a resident and eligible to work in the UK.
Whilst we endeavour to contact you following your response due to the high volume of applications this cannot always be possible. If you have not had notification within 7 days unfortunately your application has not been successful but we will keep your details on file for future opportunities.
This vacancy is being advertised on behalf of Barker Ross Group who is acting as a recruitment agency.