The post holder will be responsible for planning, managing and co-ordinating the work of a category team tasked with delivering a category specific elements and projects of the multi-millionpound annual procurement programme for the council. This will include the key complex procurements of the category, which will have both a high financial value and a significant impact on the lives of those that the contracts support. The category procurement plan will remain under review and is subject to change periodically under the overall supervision, and approval, of the 'Head of Procurement'
The post holder, along with other category managers, commissioners and managers, will help shape the council's strategic plan for procurement for the council. They will be responsible and accountable for the delivery of the procurement programme across their category, which will include the tender processes and taking the lead on commercial negotiations to secure the best outcomes for the services areas within their category.
The post holder will:
- Play a key role in shaping and implementing the procurement strategy for the category with a focus on collaborative working and partnering.
- Lead a professional category team to plan tendering projects and to negotiate and deliver value for money contracts.
- Develop and deliver a programme for procurement that meets service timescales, facilitates the delivery of improved services, achieves value for money and is in keeping with the Council's priorities.
- Provide leadership, expert advice and implement procurement best practice to deliver tendering projects across the category.
- Implement modern contract and relationship management practices across the category, working with end users, colleagues and suppliers.
- Ensure that contract leads across the category are trained and suitably equipped to carry out their contract performance and supplier relationship management responsibilities in line with modern practices.
- To maintain an up to date and expert knowledge of changes in legislation and understanding their impact for both the category and council. Ensure that council procurement policies and procedures are understood and applied across the category and accordingly within Lambeth's governance arrangements.
- Working with relevant managers to improve the strategic relationships with partners, suppliers and others to achieve value for money throughout the contract life cycle.
- To quantify spending at category level of all goods and services, develop and implement a year over year cost saving programme. Use a category management approach to spend analysis.
- Develop and agree with the Head of Procurement an annual work programme for the category team, manage and monitor the programme and team performance. Set relevant objectives and targets to ensure the delivery of value for money services and review at 1 to 1 and appraisal meetings.
- Review annual procurement plans as required by the Head of Procurement
- Produce reports and guidance documents on significant issues including supplier performance, strategic market management and policy matters for presentation at senior level and at committees.
- Influence and define the development of market intelligence reporting through structured benchmarking, market research and peer networking by the category service managers. Assist in the presentation of the information to senior managers in order to inform future direction and the pace of change, future procurement strategy and contract packaging.
- To directly line manage several staff providing excellent people management ensuring staff are trained and developed to deliver the work and that good working practices are in place.
- Exercise vigilance and awareness to prevent fraudulent activities in line with the Council's financial regulations, establish mechanisms to ensure separation of project management from delivery of contracts.
- Carry out the duties of the post in accordance with the Data Protection Act, the Computer Misuse Act, the Health and Safety at Work Act, and other relevant legislation, as well as Council policies, procedures, Standing Orders and Financial regulations.
- Undertake any other duties that may be required to meet the exigencies of the service. These may be varied from time to time to meet the needs of the service.
Disclaimer: This vacancy is based in the United Kingdom. Barker Ross Recruitment only operates in the UK and can only process applications from candidates who are currently a resident and eligible to work in the UK.
Whilst we endeavour to contact you following your response due to the high volume of applications this cannot always be possible. If you have not had notification within 7 days unfortunately your application has not been successful.
This vacancy is being advertised on behalf of Barker Ross Group who is acting as a recruitment agency.
All communication with us is subject to the conditions outlined in our Privacy Notice.
General Manager (3PL)
- Corby, Northamptonshire
- £60000 - £70000 per annum + plus company benefits
- 4 days ago
A great opportunity has arisen for an ambitious individual to implement their logistics, warehousing and distribution experience as General Manager with a dynamic and rapidly expanding logistics provider on a full-time, permanent basis in Corby, Northamptonshire. This is a truly excitin... Read More
Business Development Manager Air/Sea Freight
- Wakefield, West Yorkshire
- £35000 - £45000 per annum + Company Car/Bonus 24 Days+ Bank Holidays
- 5 days ago
One of the leading providers in the Freight Distribution has a opportunities for Air & Sea Freight Business Development Managers. We are looking to review candidates who are based in the Dartford, Wakefield and Corby regions. You will deliver profitable new business in line with organis... Read More
Freight Forwarding Business Development Manager
- Hounslow, London
- Lucrative salary on offer
- 20 days ago
A fantastic opportunity has arisen for a Freight Forwarding Business Development Manager with a dynamic and rapidly expanding logistics provider on a full-time, permanent basis. This is a truly exciting time to join the company that specialises in FMCG, Retail, Fashion, Supply Chain, 3P... Read More
Business Development Manager (Warehousing & Fulfilment)
- Corby, Northamptonshire
- £55000 - £65000 per annum + plus company benefits
- 21 days ago
A fantastic opportunity has arisen for a Logistics Business Development Manager with a dynamic and rapidly expanding logistics provider on a full-time, permanent basis. This is a truly exciting time to join the company that specialises in FMCG, Retail, Fashion, Supply Chain, 3PL and Dis... Read More
Repack Shift Manager (6 months FTC)
- Wigan, Greater Manchester
- Up to £31476 per annum + salary to be pro-rata plus benefits
- 26 days ago
One of the leading logistics providers has an opportunity for a Repack Shift Manager in the Wigan area. This role is on a 6 month fixed term contract. The Repack Shift Manager will lead and motivate a highly variable resource level including agency, temporary, permanent, part-time and f... Read More