Our client is one of the largest recyclers of steel in the UK. Their mission is to transform steel and related manufacturing into a global technology and product leader. Integral to this plan is sustainability, which drives what they do by using renewable sources where possible to reduce their carbon footprint.
Due to continued success they are now looking to recruit an NDT Technologist
The NDT Technologist will devise, develop and maintain a robust system of non-destructive testing procedures and operator training across the full range of equipment which meets customer, national, and international standards requirements. The role involves advising management in all aspects of non-destructive testing and ensuring the correct operation of NDT procedures throughout the works. This will include liaising with equipment suppliers, engineering and production staff in developing specifications for new NDT equipment, measuring the success with which objectives are achieved. This position exists to ensure compliance with Nadcap, specific national, international and customer standards of performance of NDT operations.
Duties & responsibilities include:
· To train, examine and certify NDT personnel to accepted international standards in order to meet customer demands, or to liaise with external training facilities in developing / implementing suitable courses.
· NDT inspection methods include immersion, in-line and manual ultrasonic testing, magnetic particle inspection, magnetic flux leakage, eddy current, thermographic surface inspection, optical spectrometry and x-ray fluoroscopy testing. The expectation is that the role will cover any existing or future NDT techniques, which may be required, but are not currently applied by the business.
· To advise on the design, specification and purchase of NDT equipment to ensure the most cost-effective meeting of customer standards and to devise methods of measuring the achieved capability.
· To liaise with engineering personnel (both in-house and external) in maintaining, improving or developing NDT equipment to optimise availability and performance.
· To interpret and evaluate customer NDT requirements and prepare written instructions to ensure their achievements.
· To advise Sales personnel on the capabilities of the works products in meeting customer requirements.
· To devise and implement novel NDT techniques when these may be required either to solve specific problems or to improve the monitoring of product quality.
· To liaise with customers in resolving any arising NDT problems in order to minimise any customer dissatisfaction and cost to the works.
· To maintain up-to-date knowledge of all NDT methods applicable to the industry, and of customer, national and international standards applicable to those methods
· To represent the company on national / international bodies concerned with NDT.
· To support all audit activities associated with both internal and external auditors. This will include maintaining standards for all end use applications, including aerospace where OEMs such as Rolls-Royce, Pratt & Whitney and Boeing are key customers for which the company hold NDT approvals. Our client runs an extensive NDT operation and a Nadcap-approved NDT quality system.
The successful NDT Technologist will ideally be qualified to NDT level III, consideration will be given to candidates that don't yet have the qualification but they must be prepared to study for the appropriate NDT qualifications to achieve NDT level III within 2 years. Good background knowledge of the work's products, processes and systems are also necessary so the successful candidate should ideally have a relevant technical / engineering qualification plus 5 years relevant experience. Ongoing CPD commitment is needed in order to maintain up to date knowledge of developing technology and certification requirements and to facilitate the necessary 5 yearly NDT level III qualification.
Benefits for the NDT Technologist role include:
£30,000 - £35,000
35 days holiday
Upto 16% combined pension contribution
If you are interested in the NDT Technologist role, please apply today!
This vacancy is based in the United Kingdom. Barker Ross Staffing Solutions only operates in the UK and can only process applications from candidates who are currently a resident and eligible to work in the UK.
Whilst we endeavour to contact you following your response due to the high volume of applications this cannot always be possible. If you have not had notification within 7 days unfortunately your application has not been successful.
This vacancy is being advertised on behalf of Barker Ross Group who is acting as a recruitment agency.
All communication with us is subject to the conditions outlined in our Privacy Notice.