Our client is a highly successful food manufacturing company in Leicester
Due to continued success they are now looking to recruit Manufacturing Technicians. We have opportunities on 4 on 4 off Days, and 4 on 4 off Nights, both working 6-6.
The purpose of the Manufacturing Technician role:
- Through a culture of continuous improvement lead, manage a motivated manufacturing team to deliver sustainable processes that result in quality product being manufactured safely at the lowest cost.
- This role is fully and singularly responsible for a manufacturing operation when on shift and will be responsible for making decisions concerning management of personnel, production and its quality, cost control, personal safety, food safety and service.
- The capability to understand and work across various shift patterns as required by the role.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
HEALTH & SAFETY
- Makes sure all staff are trained and competency checked against Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's) and Risk Assessment (RA's).
- Responsible for following escalation procedures when incidents occur.
- Responsible for ensuring all staff are working to the correct standards and processes to ensure a safe working environment for all.
- Responsible for driving a safety culture within their area of responsibility to include undertaking weekly health and safety audits. Never walk past poor practice without taking action.
- Is aware of area risk assessments, ensures Risk Assessments and Standard Operating Procedures are adhered to and raises concerns about effectiveness as appropriate.
- Responsible for ensuring all accidents and near misses are fully investigated on conjunction with the Site Shift Manager and submitted in a timely manner.
- Completion of Line start-up check sheets and action any issues which are raised
- Supervision of the operators in area of responsibility.
- Looks after new members of staff and integrates them into the team ensuring they are fully aware and trained in line with the site operational procedures.
- Set stretching attainable goals and nurture improvements.
- Responsible for all 'People' processes within area of responsibility.
- Responsible for effective Performance management within area of responsibility in conjunction with the Site Shift Manager, ensuring consistency in approach and correct application of performance management processes (Disciplinary/Absence Management procedures/Praise & Recognition).
- Responsible for ensuring communication channels within area of responsibility are robust and delivers the right messages in a timely manner to all staff as required.
- Responsible for creating a positive culture to foster good morale and good working conditions for staff. Utilising established tools and mechanisms e.g. Tool box talks, Staff Survey & Employee Forums
- Responsible for ensuring all staff are working to the correct standards, processes and specifications etc. and are working towards a 'Do it right' ethos.
- Responsible for identifying the root cause when deviations or non-conformances occur and taking appropriate corrective action so individuals learn from their mistakes.
- Responsible for area GMP and Safety audit activity and the closing out of actions in conjunction with support functions.
- Responsible for ensuring that information from customer complaints are reviewed with technical team and actions taken as appropriate.
- Responsible for ensuring the achievement of cleaning requirements against a defined schedule set by the technical team.
- Responsible for ensuring new products launches are successful with support from the NPD team.
- Responsible for ensuring internal KPI's between departments are delivered and internal customer expectations are met.
- Responsible for attainment to plan and investigation / reporting on reasons for any deviations.
- Responsible for corrective and preventative action in response to non-conformance.
- Analyses reports and formulates plans to support recovery on department budget and Key Performance Indicators (KPI) and non-conformance in conjunction with the Site Shift Manager.
- Responsible for understanding root cause of any Material Usage Variance (MUV) against product Bill Of Materials (BOM's)
- Responsible for identifying cost improvements and initiatives.
- Always look to be energy efficient. If you don't need it, turn it off.
- Responsible for investigating equipment damage and reporting.
- Responsible for corrective and preventative action in response to non-conformances
CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT (CI)
- Contributes to Process Development and Improvement.
- Responsible for enabling and promoting a culture of continuous improvement.
- Responsible for ensuring that actions and changes from CI initiatives are successfully implemented and sustained consistently.
GOOD MANUFACTURING PRACTICE (GMP)
- Ensure each team member is aware of their Clean As You Go (CAYGO) activity.
- Actively takes part in weekly GMP audit activity with Site Shift manager / QAT.
- Ensure all machines surfaces are clean and clear of debris.
- Ensure the floor surrounding the line is clean and dry.
- Ensure all raw materials and product is covered prior to use.
- Ensure all raw materials and packaging is stored neatly, close to the line and off the floor.
- Ensure work records table is clean and tidy.
- Ensure cleaning equipment is stored off the floor in the correct locations, and is inspected for damage/replacement.
- Ensure used tools are wiped down and stored correctly
- Ensure cleaning schedules are adhered to and paperwork is completed appropriately
- Ensure all equipment is cleaned in line with the relevant Hygiene Instruction Cards (HIC) / Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Ensure all cleaned equipment is visually inspected post clean
- Ensure area is checked and cleared of foreign body hazards.
We have opportunities on 4 on 4 off Days, and 4 on 4 off Nights, both working 6-6
The successful Manufacturing Technicians should have Manufacturing Technician experience or similar, with fault finding and repair skills; food manufacturing / FMCG experience would be highly advantageous.
Essential experience and skills includes:
- Demonstrate experience of machine operation, fault finding and repair
- Strong Leadership skills and demonstrable ability to manage and develop a high performing team
- Extensive experience working in FMCG/Food sector (especially manufacturing)
- Proven track record for delivering Continuous Improvement and Change initiatives
- Experience of working in a lean operating environment
- Literacy / Numeracy to national Level 2 Standard
- Computer literate with sound understanding of Microsoft Office applications
- Experience in process improvement tools and methodology
- Strong organisational and interpersonal skills including excellent communication skills (both oral and written)
- Self-driven and results oriented. Has a positive outlook and a clear focus on high quality standards
- Tough and assertive in a positive way, with an ability to make decisions based on their own sound judgment.
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work under (reasonable) pressure - and multi-task
- Ability to work independently, to take the initiative and propose constructive solutions
Salary for Manufacturing Technician role:
£12.80 an hour for 4 on 4 off Days (annual salary equivalent: £27,995)
£14.72 an hour for 4 on 4 off Nights (annual salary equivalent: £32,148)
If you are interested in the Manufacturing Technician roles, please apply today!