We are looking for a Highway Operatives to join our highways team in Somerset.
To undertake duties associates with the maintenance and construction of public highways maintained by Somerset Highways. the successful candidate will need to be available to undertake winter and emergency maintenance out of hours activities on a standby rota basis throughout the year.
- To ensure the safety of the workforce and public
- Undertake out of hours winter maintenance and emergency works
- To be fit and in good health and able to carry out high levels of manual work and work out of doors in all weather
- To ensure full understanding and application of our Policy and Procedures and delivery of service to the public
- The erecting and removal of appropriate signs, barriers, warning lamps etc in accordance with the Code of Practice
- The preparation, application, compaction and removal of soils, rocks, coated and other materials
- Work on Highways furniture, equipment and similar fixtures(e.g. Erection, maintenance, fixing and/or dismantling)
- General maintenance of highway environs
- Work to precise levels and requirements in construction work in a number of tasks (e.g. Drain laying, trench timbering, manhole concreting, kerb laying, fencing, walling, flag and block paving, signing works) to be a competent in at least 3 of these tasks and maintain all other disciplines as required to cover the highways network.
- Driving of vehicles requiring specialist LGV Class C driving skills or prepared to undertake appropriate training.
- Drive all of the plant and equipment necessary for the required disciplines for maintenance and drainage on Highways and Network
- Take responsibility for vehicles/plant/materials in your charge
- Where appropriate provide direction/supervision of the work to less experienced operatives
- Any other duties of a similar nature in accordance with the current grade, or as requested by your line manager
We are looking for:
- Able to demonstrate a commitment to Health and Safety
- New Roads and Street Works (NRSWA) Operative Accreditation
- Hold LGV Class C driving license OR demonstrate capability to support putting candidate through LGV Class C training during their probationary period.
- Good communication skills and basic literacy and numeracy
- Ability to undertake a high level of manual work and work outdoors in all weathers
- Able to demonstrate good customer care skills (i.e. dealing with the public)
- Able to demonstrate an ability to handle awkward situations tactfully
- Clean driving License
Our infrastructure services team delivers projects that maintain and enhance the built environment. Part of that is our work to operate, maintain and improve large parts of the UK road network. Whether you're involved in frontline operational work, design, project management or office-based services, every day you'll be helping to improve the lives of millions of people.
Disclaimer: This vacancy is based in the United Kingdom. Barker Ross Recruitment only operates in the UK and can only process applications from candidates who are currently a resident and eligible to work in the UK.
Whilst we endeavour to contact you following your response due to the high volume of applications this cannot always be possible. If you have not had notification within 7 days unfortunately your application has not been successful.
This vacancy is being advertised on behalf of Barker Ross Group who is acting as a recruitment agency.
All communication with us is subject to the conditions outlined in our Privacy Notice.
Sorry, there are currently no matching jobs available