Salary £51,201 - £57,084
Permanent- Full time
The closing date for this post is 12 noon on Monday 9th March 2020
*Please note all candidates will start at the bottom of the pay scale and move up the grade with length of service.
*Please also note that all candidates must have UK residency for the last 5 years for vetting purposes.
The main purpose of the role is to provide professional, proactive and effective support to the Police and Crime Commissioner to fulfil their statutory duties and responsibilities, support the Treasurer/Chief Finance Officer to fulfil the statutory responsibilities attached to the post and to deputise for the Treasurer/Chief Finance Officer in their absence and to provide professional financial and business advice to support the delivery of the best possible service within the resources available.
· To contribute to the Police and Crime Commissioners' strategic, managerial and planning decisions, providing impartial, accurate, specialist, professional financial advice to ensure that all decisions are made in an informed way with consideration to wider financial and strategic business implications
· To actively contribute to regular Office, Force and Partnership meetings to explain complex financial information in a way that can be clearly understood
· To provide professional, financial and business advice and guidance to enable the maintenance of effective management of the Commissioner's and Force budgets, ensuring value for money is achieved and that spend against budgets is accurately recorded and reported.
· To lead in the preparation of budgets and to provide specialist advice and contribute to the strategic decision of the PCC and the Treasurer as to the availability of resources and the setting of precepts.
· To be the main point of contact for all funding and finance related issues for Partnership, Grant and Commissioned Services and to lead on the development of financial and governance arrangements for the proper management and audit of grants, partnerships and commissioned services.
· To provide financial support and advice to the development and implementation of the Estates Strategy and Plans and the management of all premises and Property budgets and expenditure
· To support change programmes, ensuring sufficient challenge and rigour is built into the process and ensuring the effective implementation of business plans; capturing and monitoring the business benefits and financial impacts.
· To assist in the development of business cases that will secure and protect funding for the Forces and to act as point of initial challenge to the Chief Constable as they bid for resources from the PCC
· To liaise on a regular basis with the Force Finance Directorate ensuring appropriate financial management and governance arrangements are in place.
· As directed, to lead in the preparation and audit of the annual accounts (and any Group accounts), Police and Crime Plan and value for money statement.
· To provide specialist advice to the PCC on the development, adoption and review of financial delegations, a scheme of consent and arrangements for the oversight of budget controls and related records as required by the CFO.
· To interpret Financial Regulations and Accounting Instructions and provide specialist advice and guidance in order to assist the strategic direction of the PCC and Treasurer.
· To report any unlawful or potentially unlawful expenditure as required by law and the Financial Code of Conduct.
· To be responsible for the facilitation or procurement of all necessary services to enable the PCC to fulfil their statutory role.
· To lead on the risk management arrangements for the PCC, providing advice and guidance and developing and maintaining the PCC's risk management strategy and risk register.
· To provide day to day leadership, management and development of the Finance Officer to ensure the delivery of a professional Financial Management Service.
· To deputise for the Treasurer in their absence
· CCAB qualification (CIPFA preferred)
· Evidence of continuing professional development
· The ability to demonstrate an understanding of the National and Local Financial and Legal Framework within which the Police and Crime Commissioners/Forces operate and a knowledge of wider accounting regulations and principles
· An understanding of business change principles including a working knowledge of how to effectively manage change and effectively realise benefits
· Appreciation of different ways to use budgetary resources, including grants and contracts.
· Substantial experience in a professional accounting environment, ideally in a large organisation (with at least 3 years post qualification experience)
· Experience or sufficient awareness of working in a political environment subject to public scrutiny
· Experience in designing, implementing and improving new procedures
· Experience of formulating and implementing financial strategies with senior officers/members or equivalent including problem solving
· Experience of influencing decision making at a senior level
· Significant and relevant experience of preparing, managing and controlling budgets and providing effective financial support at a senior level
· Demonstrate a track record of providing a high quality, customer focused financial service
· Proven ability to build effective working relationships at all levels of the organisation
· Ability to interpret and extrapolate financial data and present complex information in a clear, well-structured way that can be easily understood by non-financial users
· Ability to look wider than the financial implications of business decisions and identify and assess the wider strategic impacts.
· Excellent and effective interpersonal skills.
· Good communication, negotiation and influencing skills bot
This vacancy is based in the United Kingdom. Barker Ross Staffing Solutions only operates in the UK and can only process applications from candidates who are currently a resident and eligible to work in the UK.
Whilst we endeavour to contact you following your response due to the high volume of applications this cannot always be possible. If you have not had notification within 7 days unfortunately your application has not been successful.
This vacancy is being advertised on behalf of Barker Ross Group who is acting as a recruitment agency.
All communication with us is subject to the conditions outlined in our Privacy Notice.