An exciting opportunity has become available for a Environmental Officer to join a company that is a Market Leader in Meat Processing. The role is full-time, permanent based at their site in Bedfordshire.
The successful candidate will work closely with the Site Engineering & Operational Management Teams, you will be a key member of the Environmental team; an ambitious, driven and innovative division of the business, driving and promoting the Environmental, Energy and Sustainability agenda at the companies sites with a focus on compliance and culture, while providing support to the Site Operations Manager and coaching and guidance for managers and colleagues on a wide range of Environmental compliance and energy related matters.
- As the Environmental Officer on site, you will provide professional assistance and advice on all matters relating to environmental and energy legislation within the industry sector, with guidance from the Group Environmental & Engineering Teams.
- Actively support the site management teams to meet Environmental and Energy KPI's and targets, compiling weekly and monthly reports, with a focus on root cause, corrective action and continuous improvement.
- Supporting the site functional teams in conducting regular meetings, detailed Incident Investigations, proactive pollution prevention and coordinate close outs. Coordinating and attending daily and weekly site walks.
- Implementation of natural resource efficiency campaigns and initiatives to reduce environmental / energy impact.
- Acting as the site energy and resource team champion to achieve energy, water and carbon reduction targets; through measuring, analysis and reporting activities.
- Use and assist in the development of appropriate systems to underpin the Environmental and Efficiency strategy.
- Researching new innovative technology and solutions which will improve natural resource efficiency.
- Complete feasibility studies with cost benefit for potential investment projects, playing a key role in the planning implementation and delivery of any resulting projects.
- Working closely with financial controllers on the expenditure of related works and projects, to ensure contracts or purchases are negotiated to best possible price and identify opportunities for grant assistance and secure grant aid.
- Ensure the site meets its obligations under environmental legislation and regulations, including but not limited to Packaging Waste Regs; Climate Change Levy; EPR Permits.
- Maintaining and improve ISO14001 & ISO50001 accredited environmental and energy management and monitoring systems to ensure environmental compliance and include implementation of an internal audit function for the Management System.
- Complete environmental impact assessments for major pollution sources & check mitigations are implemented.
- Assist in the implementation of Best Available Techniques (BAT) is used for the continual development and improvement of the business, where practicable.
- Actively assist in the Monitoring of Contractors on site and the Control of the Permit to Work Systems.
- Monitor emergency procedures, to assist in business continuity and interruption management.
- Providing Environmental and Energy Leadership to the site teams by supporting, guiding and behaving in a way that leads by example.
- Support the Site Operations Manager by facilitating site environmental meetings and acting as site lead on Group Environmental conference calls, providing statistical information and advice on matters raised pertaining to the environment and energy, communicating effectively to all colleagues.
- Maintenance and updating of documented management systems, ensuring availability and presentation logically and organised for inspection (Eg: By external auditors, EA or Local Water Authorities).
- Attending and supporting during external ethical or ISO audits (ISO14001, 50001) or other customer specific audits as required.
- Managing Waste Management, Water, Odour, Noise and ETP practices and any other environmental testing as required.
- Promote and manage excellent relationships with suppliers and other service partners, i.e. contractors etc.
- Providing administrative support on all the above as required.
- Industry Recognised Environment/ Energy and/or Engineering Qualification
- Project Management, experience of delivering projects to planned outcomes
- Teamwork & Initiative - able to work in a team to drive performance.
- Organisational Skills: able to prioritise workload to meet deadlines.
- Experience of ISO45001, ISO14001, ISO50001
- Experience of SWA, SMETA Ethical Standards
- Experience of CI & Lean Techniques
- Membership of EMEA, CIOSH, CIEW
- Experience of managing budgets.
Working knowledge and understanding of WWTP's and their operation would be advantageous
The working hours for this role is 42.5 Hours pw, 6am to 3pm - Monday to Friday.
The Salary for this position is paying between £30,000 - £35,000
Genuine career prospects are available for the right candidate who is looking for that platform from which to develop their career!