Reporting to: Catering Supervisor or designated line manager
Role: Cook /Chef
Pay Rate: £9.50ph
Purpose of the job
To provide & supervise a high-quality kitchen service, in the provision of food to the customers (& staff), in accordance with the budget. Deputise for the Catering Supervisor in his/her absence, supervising the catering team where applicable.
- To ensure that all meals and beverages are prepared, cooked and served all in a timely manner, so that customers can dine at agreed times.
- To plan menus to provide nutritionally balanced, varied and attractively presented meals for customers and staff, providing where necessary for any specific dietary requirements and taking note of customers' preferences and making best use of seasonal foods.
- To liaise with the Care Team and customers in the provision of suitable menus, encouraging customers' participation in the selection of menus in consultation with the Deputy Manager/Service Manager.
- To maintain an awareness of individual customer risk assessments relating to specific catering support needs, for example, dysphagia.
- To ensure that a regular cleaning programme of kitchen, dining and storage areas is followed in line with environmental health regulations and following COSHH requirements, (assisting other catering staff with cleaning and washing up as necessary).
- To ensure follow HACCP system guidelines on the storage, preparation & serving of food are clear and followed by the Catering Team.
- To ensure all foodstuffs are stored appropriately. Check, monitor and accurately record storage temperatures.
- To check food stocks and order stores and supervise the receipt and storage of foodstuffs and stock records as required. Invoices to be checked and forwarded to the Service administrators for processing.
- To ensure that all costs are contained within the service's catering budget.
- To report any breakages or failure of kitchen equipment to immediate line manager
- To help organise and supervise staff, assisting with training and preparing duty rotas/times sheets, ensuring all absences are covered.
- To provide catering for parties, buffets, picnics and other special functions that are authorised by the Service Manager.
- To comply with all health and safety policies and procedures.
- To comply with LC and any local safeguarding & mental capacity act (MCA) policies and procedures.
- To work within the regulatory compliance requirements applicable at the respective service.
- To maintain an awareness of individual customer risk assessments relating to specific support needs, for example, dysphagia, mobility & safety.
- To participate in supervision, staff meetings and training activities (including updates) etc. as required, sometimes off-site and outside normal hours.
- To be responsible for maintaining and improving own knowledge and skills through experience and training.
- To undertake additional responsibilities as requested by the Service Manager following the successful completion of specific training and personal skills development.
- To undertake any other reasonable duties as requested.
- To have a recognised catering qualification, or commitment to work towards this.
- To have level 3 food hygiene certificate (and additional HACCP accreditation) or have level 4 food hygiene certificate.
- A first aid qualification would be advantageous.
- To have basic literacy and numeracy.
- To have experience of working in a kitchen environment.
- To be able to work flexibly within rostered hours.
- To demonstrate a commitment to Client's ethos and values.
Key competencies & skills
- To have food/beverage preparation skills.
- To be able to plan menus.
- To have knowledge of health and safety procedures including being able to demonstrate an understanding of COSHH implications for materials/supplies.
- To be able to demonstrate an understanding of safe and correct food hygiene/handling procedures with a demonstrable knowledge of HACCP system
- To be able to demonstrate an understanding of infection control principles (including hazard compliance).
Disclaimer: This vacancy is based in the United Kingdom. Barker Ross Health&Social Care only operates in the UK and can only process applications from candidates who are currently a resident and eligible to work in the UK.
Whilst we endeavour to contact you following your response due to the high volume of applications this cannot always be possible. If you have not had notification within 7 days unfortunately your application has not been successful.
This vacancy is being advertised on behalf of Barker Ross Group who is acting as a recruitment agency.
All communication with us is subject to the conditions outlined in our Privacy Notice.